Thursday, July 21, 2011

(#2) There's still some nuts on the family tree...

We are who we are, in large part, because of the family we come from. On my dad's side were an abundance (13) of children in a very poor setting. They were raised to always be seen and never heard. As soon as they were old enough to drag a cotton sack, they had to go out and help in the fields and when a bit larger (around 10 years old) they got jobs in the local factories and farms. Life in Arkansas in the mid to late 30's. My mom was one of five children, and also fairly poor. However, her mom died when she was only five and her grandma down the road, and older sister raised her. At 11 years old her brother took her in with him and his wife.


While my dad's childhood left him with a great work ethic, he really doesn't get humor; and especially not if it is silly. Perhaps because my mom was raised by kids, she has always had a particular sense of fun and silliness. Most of her family, are very easy to discern as limbs from the same tree. Thus, my cousins and I grew up with a multitude of LOL-style memories!


 Unfortunately, those branches of the tree tend to be ripe with nuts of many types. It seems that OCD runs through that side of the family and it is very strong in me and all of my children, even my grandchild. In the early years, my mother's father made many comments regarding the "oddeties" of his grandchildren - which we find hilarious today. It is true, our "quirks" became apparent at young ages. In addition, our mothers were prone to bouts of laughter until they could not breathe, so we were "weird, and dinghy." Do not misunderstand me -- I am very happy with who I am -- I am just giving you, the reader, a little peek into the younger years of this particular family tree..


The ability of our close knit, extended family to find laughter and fun regardless of the situations life throws at them is the reason I can see the "sunny side" in my life as an adult. Each and every leaf, limb, and yes, nut, on that tree contributed to my ability to entertain and amuse my family and friends (often to the point of wetting their pants). I love them dearly, and while there are certainly a few "insects" and "rotten spots" on our tree, I am grateful for the "ME" they helped to form.







No comments:

Post a Comment

BE SURE TO COMMENT, but try to play nice!! :) Please Follow Me!